A busy workplace with demanding expectations can often lead to poor work-life balance, which leads to employee burnout. This leads to mistakes and increases stress.
Use our template to conduct a survey of the work-life balance of working individuals and get the needed data to make better management decisions. By asking the correct survey questions about work-life balance, a workplace can be changed for the better.
What can be accomplished with a work-life balance questionnaire?
Including inquiries about work-life balance in an upcoming employee satisfaction survey is an easy way to understand which workplace policies require improvement. Ask employees how many hours they work per week, if they work on weekends, and how happy they are with their workload.
With the responses from a work-life balance questionnaire, conclusions can be made about whether morale is suffering and contributing to dissatisfaction. By asking workers the right questions, work-life balance issues can be identified.
Employee work-life balance questionnaire and mental health
Work-life balance and mental health are increasingly important issues in the workplace. With unemployment low, workers can and will choose positive workplaces over negative ones. A healthy balance between work and personal life helps employees feel better, improves productivity, and ultimately enhances happiness. That is why a questionnaire regarding work-life balance can be part of a mental health survey, since the questions usually overlap.
There are a lot of factors that contribute to workforce well-being. These include engagement, interaction, relationships with coworkers, health, workload, etc. It is essential for managers to understand their employees' work-life balance and to determine ways that their organization can improve it. Having a healthy work-life balance is important to today's workforce. Studies show that organizations with high-quality work-life balance have higher engagement and lower turnover.
If there are concerns about the work-life balance and mental health of employees,
HR to carry out a questionnaire. In some companies, employees are expected to fill out such forms or answer questions multiple times throughout the year. Therefore, it’s important to have something that is quick to fill out and easy to distribute. These kinds of surveys are used by companies regardless of their size.
Work-life balance survey questions
Work-life balance survey questions can provide insight into an employee's well-being. Here are some questions about work-life balance:
- How satisfied are you with your current work hours?
- How often do you work overtime?
- Could you benefit from offloading some of your tasks to another employee?
- Have you missed a personal event because of work?
- How satisfied are you with your current work-life balance?
- How often do you take work home?
- How often do you work on the weekend?
- How often do you work on vacation?
- Do you check emails after you leave the office?
- Are you satisfied with your work schedule?
- How many hours do you sleep on an average work night?
- On a scale of 1 to 5 (from strongly disagree to strongly agree) please rate your level of agreement with the following statements:
- I prioritize my job over my personal life.
- I prioritize my family over my work.
- I sacrifice sleep to spend time with family.
- How many hours per week do you work on average?
- How long is your daily commute?
- What can we do to give you a better work-life balance?
How to use our work-life balance survey template
Using our work-life balance survey template is a straightforward and effective way to assess and improve the balance between professional and personal life. The template comprises a range of questions that delve into the aspects of workload, time management, stress levels, and personal well-being. This valuable insight can guide decisions on which questions to incorporate when creating a customized work-life balance survey, ensuring that it aligns with their unique needs and circumstances.
Explore other related work-life balanced surveys and questions
Discovering related work-life balance surveys and questions can provide a broader perspective and a wealth of valuable insights. Exploring these resources allows access to a diverse range of methodologies and questions tailored to various industries and individual preferences. Whether looking for guidance on assessing work-life balance, conducting research within an organization, or seeking to refine understanding of this critical aspect of well-being, these additional surveys and questions can serve as valuable tools. Let’s dive into it!
Work schedule survey question examples
Work schedule questionnaires can help organizations gather feedback from employees about their current work calendars and identify potential areas for improvement. Here are some work schedule survey questions to consider:
- What is your current daily work schedule (start and end times)?
- Are you satisfied with your daily work schedule? If not, what changes would you prefer?
- On average, how many hours do you work per week?
- Do you feel that the number of hours you work is appropriate? If not, please elaborate on your preference.
Flexibility and remote work
- Does your job offer any flexibility in terms of work hours or remote work options?
- How important is flexibility in your work schedule to you?
Overtime and additional hours
- How often are you required to work overtime or additional hours?
- Are you content with the frequency of overtime, or would you prefer it to be reduced?
Shift preferences (if applicable)
- If your job involves shift work, do you have a preferred shift? Please specify.
- Are there any specific reasons why you prefer one shift over others?
Breaks and rest periods
- Are you satisfied with the break and rest periods provided during your workday?
- Would you like to see any changes in the timing or duration of breaks?
- How much advance notice do you typically receive for your work schedule?
- Do you find scheduling predictability adequate? If not, how could it be improved?
Impact on work-life balance
- How does your current work schedule affect your work-life balance?
- Are there any changes you would suggest to improve work-life balance?
Preferred scheduling model
- Would you prefer a fixed predictable schedule or a more flexible schedule with variable hours?
- Please share any specific scheduling models that you believe would be beneficial to you and the organization.
- Is there anything else you would like to share regarding your work schedule that hasn't been covered in the above questions?
Work-life balance questions for leaders and managers
Work-life balance is not just essential for employees; it's crucial for leaders and managers as well. Encouraging leaders to reflect on their work-life balance can set a positive example for the rest of the organization. It also allows the organization to understand and address any challenges managers may face in achieving a healthy balance between work and personal life. Learn more about
leadership and management surveys
and how they can help your organization.
Examples of work-life balance questions for leaders
Here are some work-life balance questions specifically designed for leaders:
Current work-life balance
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your current work-life balance?
- How often do you find yourself bringing work-related concerns home?
- How many hours do you typically work in a week, including both regular and overtime hours?
- Are you satisfied with the amount of time you spend on work-related activities versus personal activities?
- Do you feel overwhelmed with your current workload and responsibilities?
- Are there any specific tasks or projects that are causing an imbalance in your work-life equation?
Use of vacation and PTO
- How frequently do you take advantage of your vacation days and paid time off (PTO) entitlements?
- Have you ever hesitated to take time off due to work-related pressures or concerns?
Flexibility and remote work
- Do you have the flexibility to adjust your work hours or to work remotely when needed?
- How do you think increased flexibility or remote work options could improve your work-life balance?
Support from the organization
- Do you feel supported by the organization in maintaining a healthy work-life balance?
- Are there any additional resources or support you would like to see offered?
- How do you handle setting boundaries between work and personal life?
- Do you find it challenging to disconnect from work during personal time?
Delegation and empowerment
- How comfortable are you with delegating tasks to your team members to manage your workload?
- Do you feel confident in empowering your team to take ownership of certain responsibilities?
- How do you integrate personal and family activities into your work schedule?
- Are there any strategies you find effective in blending work and personal life harmoniously?
Stress and well-being
- How does your work-life balance impact your overall stress level and well-being?
- Are there any wellness initiatives or programs you would like to see implemented to support leaders' well-being?
Lead by example
- As a leader, do you feel the pressure to demonstrate a strong work ethic by working long hours?
- How can the organization encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees, including leaders?
- What changes or accommodations would help you achieve a better work-life balance in the future?
- How can the organization assist you in achieving your work-life balance goals?
Add questions about work-life balance to your next questionnaire
Discover if employees lack work-life balance or if they actually have a great equilibrium by asking them questions like those listed above. Start creating an employee survey by logging in SurveyPlanet today and using one of our pre-made
survey templates and examples.